Sunday 6 October 2013

Working with Dermandar - DMD

I enjoy working with panoramas. Until recently my panoramas were usually stitched together using Photoshop's photomerge.





This system works well. It's something I've taught students to do at times, but the results can be problematic, sometimes with significant distortions. I experimented with with an iPad app called 360, but I found it difficult to bring everything together and resolution was poor. Then I discovered Dermandar. I haven't used it as much as I'd like but it's operation is seamless, with constant prompts to keep your device vertical. It's challenging with people moving or in traffic but for a more static situation, like landscapes or cityscapes, it's ideal.




I've posted more of these here on a Pintrest board called Geography. I'll add to this over time.


I've written this post mainly so that I can link to it from a Wordpress post, since I can't yet embed DMD in Wordpress.

I'm writing a much broader post on transforming middle school field studies in geography.  In the past, geography field study excursions have been largely pen and paper based activities with teachers demonstrating practical work. There have been limited opportunities for students to gather primary data.

Digital tools have the potential to transform this traditional approach, enabling students to undertake field study in small groups, harvest rich sources of primary information and upload them to the cloud for further refined back in the classroom. They also allow for new forms of teamwork in which groups of students, in the field, communicate in real time with fellow students back at school, who are organising and synthesising data as it is gathered.

#Dermandar is just one digital tool, with in built geo-location that enhances this process.

No comments:

Post a Comment